25 Jan Nurture the Green February 2023: Week 1
Three Tips for Staying Safe at Work
Most work accidents are preventable, which is why safety should always come first. No one wants to get hurt, but sometimes we don’t use the best safety practices because it takes extra time and effort.
Taking shortcuts may seem like no big deal at the moment, but not taking safety seriously can quickly lead to hazardous situations. So remember: taking a little extra time is always worth it to avoid an injury and keep yourself and other team members safe.
Following these tips will help you stay safer at work:
- Always Wear Your PPE: It is essential for you to wear all of the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required for your job, even if the gear feels a little uncomfortable. It can be easy to forget to wear your PPE, so make a mental checklist of the items you need, and go through that checklist before you start your shift or enter a new area. Also, make sure you are wearing each piece of gear correctly.
- Be a Stickler for Details: When it comes to safety, details matter. Use tools correctly by following all instructions provided. Follow correct procedures in everything you do, and don’t cut corners! Always be aware of your surroundings so you can spot potential safety issues before they actually become an issue.
- Speak Up If Something Feels Wrong: Listen to your gut instinct when it comes to safety at work. If something doesn’t seem right or feels off, don’t be afraid to speak up about it. Inform your leader so they can investigate further and take appropriate action if necessary.
- Why do you think taking shortcuts can result in injury?
- How do you think your actions impact the safety of others on your team?
- Why do you think being aware of all the safety rules is important?