21 Dec Nurture the Green January 2023: Week 3
Workplace Communication Essentials
Have you ever noticed that the way you communicate with your colleagues and leaders directly impacts your success at work? It’s true — being honest, respectful, and positive to the people around you will help you succeed and create a more pleasant atmosphere for everyone. Communicating well with others helps everyone on your team win, especially you!
Here are some essential communication tips for work:
- Be Respectful: Use words that are polite and kind. Listen to what members of your team have to say without interrupting or talking over them. Give feedback that is constructive — not destructive — so that everyone can learn and grow together.
- Be Honest: If something needs to be addressed or discussed, bring it up immediately so that it can be resolved quickly and without drama.
- Avoid Drama: Speaking of drama — it has no place at work! Keep personal issues and gossip about others out of your conversations. Focus on positivity instead of negativity. If someone tries to start a conversation about drama, politely change the subject.
- Listen Carefully: Pay close attention when someone else is speaking so that you understand their message completely before responding.
- Ask Questions: Don’t be afraid to ask your supervisor or another experienced member of your team for help if you need it. Chances are, they will appreciate your willingness to learn new things.
- How does respect make it easier to communicate with many different kinds of people successfully?
- Think of someone who is great at communicating. What do they do that makes them so great at communicating with others?
- The words we choose are important. How do other elements of communication, like tone of voice and body language, make our communication more or less effective?