22 Sep Nurture the Green October 2022: Week 3
Week 3: How to Avoid Procrastination
Is there something you just keep waiting until the last minute to do? Is it time for you to change a lifestyle habit, like going to bed earlier or eating a little healthier, but you’re struggling to even get started? Is there a project you just keep putting off?
If this sounds like you, you’re stuck in a procrastination loop. It’s human nature to put off doing things that are difficult, boring or unpleasant. But, if you avoid certain tasks, those tasks will eventually build up, leaving you feeling overwhelmed and behind schedule. Unfortunately, these feelings may make you feel even more like procrastinating. That’s not a healthy cycle to be stuck in.
Luckily, it takes just a few steps to start getting out of the loop. Here’s how to get started and break the procrastination cycle:
- Create a to-do list: Make a list of everything you need to do or start doing. Next, re-order your list from most important to least important. You’ll want to tackle the most important tasks first.
- Set a time-bound goal: Keep it simple, and select one to three tasks to get started on. Give yourself a reasonable deadline to complete those things. Hold yourself accountable for these deadlines.
- Find a buddy: To help keep yourself accountable, consider finding a buddy who will check in with you and help you stay motivated.
- Get started: Sometimes, getting started is the hardest part, but it’s also the best way to end the procrastination cycle. Tell yourself you will dedicate just five minutes to start doing something you’ve been procrastinating on. Even if you return to it the next day, it will be easier to get in the groove and stop putting off the task.
- What tactics do you use to get things done and stop procrastinating?
- Do you think managing procrastination could help you get ahead at work and in your personal life?
- Is there a task or habit that you should start doing that you just keep putting off?