22 Sep Nurture the Green September 2022: Week 3
Week 3: Change Your Actions To Change Your Life
Maybe you’ve made mistakes that have led you to fail at something important, but those past failures do not define your future, and your past actions do not determine how you will act going forward. Here’s the thing: If you aren’t where you want to be in life, that’s okay because you can change the course of your life. Change isn’t easy, but it’s possible.
If you change your actions, you’ll most likely change the outcome you are getting. Even if you run into roadblocks — consistency, discipline, hard work and willpower can help you change your destiny. If you want to change something as small as one habit or as big as your career trajectory, here’s how you can get started:
- Know your goal: If you know you need to make a change, start by defining your SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time-based) goal. Your goal will help you determine what actions you will need to change moving forward.
- Determine what actions need to change: What kind of actions have you made in the past that would hurt your ability to achieve your new goal? Make a list of the actions that haven’t helped you succeed. Don’t beat yourself up about the past — decide to objectively focus on making smart changes in the future.
- Make a plan: Now that you know what kinds of behaviors you need to change to make your goal come to life, make a plan to address these things. Determine if you need to build a new habit or come up with a coping strategy to handle tough situations more effectively.
- Be consistent: The biggest reason people don’t change is that they give up too soon. Change is difficult, and it is a given that you will want to give up and go back to the comfortable, old way of doing things. To truly change, meet your goal, and get better results for your life, you must stick with your new actions even when it’s hard.
- Is there anything you want to change in your life?
- How can your actions impact your future for better or for worse?
- Have you made a positive change in your life before? If so, what kind of actions did you take to make that change?