24 Aug Week 3, January 2022 – Nurture the Green
Week 3: Doing the Work to Enjoy the Fun
We all want to have fun, but we also need to balance those moments of fun, relaxation and excitement with the serious stuff in life, like work and fulfilling our obligations to the people in our life. It turns out that when we dedicate time to the serious, not-so-fun things, we gain a sense of accomplishment, which leaves a lasting positive impact. To live life to the fullest, it’s important to balance moments of fun, which are short-lived, with work that leads to a long-lasting feeling of accomplishment.
Why do you need accomplishment, as well as fun, in your life?
- Fun creates a feeling of in-the-moment excitement and happiness. It’s important to take time to enjoy life, but as soon as you turn that Netflix show off, go home from hanging out with your friends, or put down the game controller, the feeling of fun disappears pretty quickly.
- On the other hand, an accomplishment makes you feel a sense of pride that can last a lifetime, but to make that accomplishment happen, you must first dedicate hard work toward a goal over a long period.
- Doing the work that leads to the accomplishment doesn’t feel fun, but being able to make a goal happen over the long term will make you feel a greater sense of meaning and purpose in your life as well as self-worth, self-respect and self-love.
- Showing up to work day in and day out can be difficult, but doing what you need to do will help you build something lasting.
- How can showing up for your job help create a sense of accomplishment in your life?
- Think about the things you do for fun and what kinds of things make you feel accomplished. How do both your “fun” activities and your “accomplishment” activities make your life better?
- What kind of accomplishments would you like to achieve in the future?