24 Aug Week 4, January 2022 – Nurture the Green
Week 4: How getting enough sleep makes your life better
Sleep is more important than you might think. Your sleep impacts your mood, focus, ability to make decisions, performance at work, and your physical health. Without proper sleep, it’s difficult to do everything in life, from showing up at work, to being productive on the job, to being fully present for your friends and family in your free time. Even though sleep is important, with so much going on in all of our lives, it’s surprisingly difficult to get the 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night most adults need. That said, the more opportunity we give ourselves to sleep, the better we’ll feel and the easier it will be to do better in life.
Here’s how to get more sleep:
- Set a bedtime for yourself. Make sure you go to bed at that time, unless there are special circumstances.
- If you just can’t seem to get to bed on time, reassess your priorities. Relaxing, socializing, hobbies and other after-work activities are part of a balanced and healthy life, but if these things are preventing you from getting enough sleep, it’s time to figure out how to spend your time smarter.
- Set realistic sleep goals. You may not be able to sleep 7 to 9 hours every night, but you should be able to get that much sleep at least a few times a week.
- If you have trouble falling asleep, create a relaxing bedtime routine that will help you calm down and prepare for a restful night
- On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate your current sleep habits?
- What are some ways you can get a better night of sleep?