24 Aug Week 1, September 2021 – Nurture the Green
Week 1: Attendance at Work
Building a career starts with showing up. Showing up each and every day isn’t easy. Life has a way of throwing surprises at us that can make showing up hard. Likewise, the routine of waking up on time and driving to work every day is sometimes not exciting or feels exhausting when you’re not in the mood.
Even though having good attendance at work can be difficult, it’s impossible to win at work or build a life you are proud of if you don’t start by showing up. Being disciplined about showing up and being on time is the only way to achieve something in your life long-term. If you don’t show up, it’s impossible to learn, succeed, or build the life you want.
Here are some tips to help you make sure attendance doesn’t knock you out of the game:
- If you have an attendance issue, you must call your group leader or the call in line 205-507-3975 before your shift starts.
- A family emergency or illness are two of the only good reasons to miss work.
- Organize your life so that you can show up for work on time every day.
- Know and keep track of your work schedule.
- Make sure you have a plan for common issues that might prevent you from showing up to work, like a back-up babysitter or a friend who can give you a ride if your car regularly has issues.
- Do not depend on other people to wake you up. Using an alarm clock to wake up is the best way to prevent oversleeping. If you are a heavy sleeper, invest in multiple alarms or a loud or vibrating alarm clock.
- Plan your transportation to work. Be aware of the traffic and weather conditions before your leave.
- Give yourself enough time to get to work each day without rushing.
- Can you think of someone who left you hanging and didn’t show up when they said they would? How did their actions make you feel?
- Are you currently showing up every day and on time? If not, how can you organize your life so you can start doing so?
- What is one way you can make showing up for work easier on yourself?